Who are you?
I’m Vikki, the editor of Style&Minimalism, a fashion and lifestyle blog about well-made products with a minimalist aesthetic. I live with my husband and our tabby cat, Coco, in South West London. We have a Victorian cottage that looks more and more Scandi by the day, a warm and calming space – very hygge.
What’s the day job?
I spend 90% of my time working on the blog, which means I’m usually taking photographs or having my photograph taken, styling, writing or editing. On top of that there’s a lot of admin to take care of. And, I also do all the coding and maintenance of my site. The other 10% is spent freelancing as a graphic designer and art director in the fashion industry.
What does your dream day look like?
Waking up to the sound of water lapping nearby and the sun pouring through an open window. Taking a swim before sitting down to a breakfast of fresh fruit, eggs and coffee. A morning spent exploring a new city or town before finding a local spot for a relaxed lunch. Followed by a slow afternoon walking, reading a book or taking photos. And then a delicious dinner with my husband, somewhere we’ve never been before.
If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
I love living in London and will be here for a long time but I’d also like to give Copenhagen a go at some point. Not only does it having an incredible design industry but also the quality of life there is so much better than London.
What’s the first thing you check out when visiting someone’s home for the first time?
Everything, I love taking it all in but books are something I will often pick up on. The books people read and look at can tell you so much about them. I’m a bit book obsessed so I’ll also be checking out whether there’s one I’m missing from my own collection.
What’s your interior addiction?
Well-made, timeless Scandinavian design.
What makes you really angry?
Rush hour in London! Need I say more, if you’ve experienced it you know exactly what I mean.
Pick a favourite film, book and song.
Anything Tarantino, arty films like Cinema Paradiso, or cheesy love films like Pretty Woman, Japanese Anime like Spirited Away. It really depends on my mood.
I’m constantly reading so picking one book is difficult. I enjoy reading about far-flung countries or books that make me think about life and love; like Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, and The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
Music is also so mood dependent for me. I love old school hip hop like A Tribe Called Quest, blues like John Lee Hooker, 90’s indie like The Strokes, chilled acoustic like Bon Iver and then you can’t go wrong with a bit of Prince. I don’t have a favourite song but Sade ‘By Your Side’ means a lot to me, it was the song we played for our first dance, at our wedding last year.
Best place you’ve ever been on holiday?
Koh Bulon Lae, it’s a tiny island off the west coast of Thailand, in the Andaman Sea. There’s very little there, it’s a great place to escape the rat race, read a good book and take in the natural beauty of the island.
What’s your favourite smell?
I have a few; fresh laundry, just baked bread, the air in the countryside; basically clean, fresh scents. Anything citrusy or woody works for me, too.
What single thing would improve your life?
Balance. I’m working really hard to be more organised so that I can balance work and life, it helps that they often overlap. I’m slowly learning to put time aside for what’s really important to me.
What are you bad at that you wish you did well?
Yoga, I practise every now and again but never enough to make any great improvement in my flexibility, strength or toning.
What would be your Death Row meal?
Scallops with black pudding and apple puree, Moules Mariniere with fresh bread on the side (a favourite since I was little) and a raspberry and strawberry pavlova.
Latest posts by Vikki Pearson
When people talk about ’less is more‘ they’re probably not suggesting you sell all your prized possessions and live in an empty white box. It’s a phrase that was...