Fancy something a little different this Christmas? Why not give Anna Barnett’s panettone waffles a try as an alternative (or an addition) to the classic Christmas pud.
The Important Details
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20-25 mins
For the panettone waffles:
- 250g plain flour
- 7g baking powder
- 20g caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 470ml full fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 30ml vegetable oil
- Handful of dried apricots, finely chopped
- Handful of raisins, finely chopped
- Large knob of butter to grease
- Waffle maker
For the drunken apricots…
- Allow 1 Apricot per serving
- 2 generous glugs of brandy
- 1 knob of butter
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 clove
For the Crème Anglaise:
- 250ml double cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extra or 1 vanilla pod, halved and seeds scraped
- 4 large egg yolks – whisked
- 75g caster sugar
- Combine all of the waffle ingredients except the dried fruit in a large mixing bowl until the large lumps have
disappeared – be careful to not over stir before finally adding in the chopped fruit.
- Allow the waffle maker to heat up and give it a generous coating of butter. Add a ladle of the mixture and allow to cook until golden. This should take a couple of minutes or so. Serve while hot or reheat in the oven until crisp.
- For the drunken apricots combine all of the ingredients except the apricots and bring to the boil before reducing the heat to low. Chop the apricots into thirds or halves and lay them chopped side down in the brandy. Allow
to stew for 5 or so minutes until soft then serve. Drizzle over juice from the pan when serving.
- For the Crème Anglaise combine the cream and vanilla in a saucepan, place over a medium to high heat and bring almost to the boil. Combine the egg yolks and sugar until you have a smooth consistency then pour half of your hot cream mixture into your egg and sugar mixture and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the combined ingredients back into the pan with the remaining warm cream and continue to whisk to avoid any lumps forming. Continue to cook over a medium heat until the sauce thickens a little. Serve warm poured over the waffles.