Who said pumpkins are only for 31 October? Filling and satisfying for when the nights draw in, snuggle up with this hearty autumn recipe from The Social Pantry.
Pumpkin and Sage Gnocchi
For the pumpkin gnocchi:
- 500g of French pumpkin
- 100g ‘00’ flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 50g finely grated Parmesan
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
For the sage Pesto:
- 1 bunch sage
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 100g finely grated Parmesan
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Lemon zest
For the garnish:
- Blanched cavolo nero
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Shaved Parmesan
- First, make the gnocchi. Cut the French pumpkin into segments, rub with olive oil and salt and roast at 180C until the flesh is tender. Scoop pumpkin into a bowl and discard the skin.
- Using a potato ricer, push the pumpkin into a large bowl. To remove excess moisture, hang the mixture in a muslin cloth in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and gently warm in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once heated through, take the pan off the heat and gently mix in both egg yolks.
- Slowly add the flour and parmesan until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough.
- Flour the surface and roll the dough into a sausage shape. Use a sharp knife to cut the gnocchi into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large saucepan, bring salted water to the boil. Cook the gnocchi until it rises to the surface, remove and place into ice cold water.
- Next, make the pesto. Place the sage leaves into a food pressor, blend with the lemon zest, parmesan and pine nuts. Slowly add oil as required to obtain a thick pesto. Season to taste.
- To plate the dish, add the cooked gnocchi to a hot frying pan with a tablespoon of oil until lightly browned. Add a knob of butter, a large spoon of pesto and blanched cavolo nero.
- Serve on a beautiful plate with freshly shaved parmesan, toasted pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Turn to the dark side with the Noir tableware collection.
Discover more from The Social Pantry.